Wednesday, January 23, 2008

color

I want to be periwinkle
light and playful, complex and a bit elusive,
the swirl of delight offered up by the sea

I want to be orange
bold and unapologetic, fun and out of control
alive and unbounded

I want to be lemon butter yellow
soft and warm and clean and true
flitting, precious, a glimpse

I want to be pink
hot and soft, feminine and fun,
powdery sweet like candy

I want to be red
like dorothy's shoes
and candied apples at the fair,
brassy and loud,
hard yet inviting

I want to be green
like my cat's eyes,
piercing and aloof at the same time
like a starlet from the silver screen

I want to be blue
like the carolina sky,
deep against the pines
and light beneath the sun

I want to be brown
like newly turned earth,
the bark of the sapling
or my hair when I was younger

I want to be the color of the wind
the one that fluttered the wings of the Bald Eagle I saw in flight
just the other day

I want it all

Yes, I want it all.

And like orange, I stand unapologetic.

1 comment:

sUz said...

oh eLLie, so beautiful!